Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Saturday, June 27, 2009 ~ Happy Anniversary!

Its hard to believe that its been 11 years! In many ways it seems like yesterday that I met that red head from Georgia at seminary. He was the cutest little library worker I had ever seen. He seemed so studious (ha!) Later, he would become my Sunday School teacher, best friend, and soul mate. We have shared so many laughs, tears, and dreams together. In fact, he has made all my dreams come true. As a child, me and my gal pals would pretend we were grown ups, married with kids. All these years later, I'm still playing house with the greatest father, husband and friend on earth. It really is a dream come true.
Reality set in when we ate lunch at Shoney's in St. Augustine. It was not the grand tea parties of my childhood. We only wanted a quick, cheap lunch that wasn't fast food. We thought we could get a little salad bar or something. I should have walked out the moment we walked in and it smelled like a bathroom had exploded. But we were seated so fast I didn't want to seem rude. I looked at the menu and even a stinkin' club sandwich was $8.99. What happened to a cheap lunch? I decided to only get a baked potato for $1.69. (Now that's cheap) I also just wanted to get out as quickly as possible. Happy Anniversary honey :) At least Ryan enjoyed his spaghetti. Oh well....things got better. We checked into the hotel and it was great. Don't you just love walking into a dark, cool hotel room? That smell...that unique hotel smell hits you as you open the door. Ahh! I love it. Ryan is going to take after me I think. That was the first thing he said. "Mama, it smells like a hotel." We hadn't even unzipped the first bag, though, and he was asking if we could go to the pool. We have a pool at home, but there is just something about a hotel pool. But the pool would have to wait.

After unpacking and recuperating from the drive we got our things together to go to dinner and the beach. We ate at a wonderful restaurant right on the water called The Reef. Great view, great shrimp, and wonderful Chicken Alfredo! Much better than Shoney's...duh! We enjoyed talking to the waitress. She was born and raised there. She gave us some good tips on beach areas that we would eventually check out. Ryan just had to tell her that we were going to go the Fountain of Youth and she told him to be sure to drink from it because her grandmother drank from it as a girl and she is still alive at 103! I think there is just something about living next to the beach that gives you life! What do you think?

We spent some time trying to get a good picture of us as a family there on Vilano Beach after we ate at The Reef. We never could get a great shot. We would eventually try again on another day. It was hot and kids just wanted to play. How do all you families get your kids to sit still for a photo? Anyway, I'll post a few just to show you how I can never get Ryan to look dead on the camera. His face points to the camera but eyes always look off. Or he will put on such a fake grin it becomes hilarious. Oh well...here are our memories. BTW, yes, later that night we took the boys to the hotel pool! It was great. No sand, so salt, and the largest dragon flies I've ever seen. Aiden loved floating around in his floatie and Ryan swam like a fish in his spiderman vest. Great ending to our official anniversary day. A bit different from the honeymoon 11 years ago, but wonderful all the same.





No comments: