Monday, November 29, 2010

Thanksgiving


This was the first year that Scott was able to get off work for Thanksgiving on both on Wednesday and Friday. We had a great weekened! We drove over to Scott's family on Wednesday and the boys enjoyed playtime with his cousins. Then Thursday was the big turkey day. We celebrated lunch with about 30 or so family members on Scott's mom's side at his Granny Turner's house then supper was at Scott's parent's house for his Dad's side of the family. We were all turkied out by the end of that day.

We drove back home that evening so we could be home for Black Friday shopping. I know call me crazy but we sincerely needed the discounts this year. So on the drive home we decided to stop at Toys R' Us in Douglasville, GA which was opening at 10pm. Well that was laughable! The line just to get into the store was a mile long. Seriously...a mile long. It curved and curved around the parking lots of the grand shopping center. I thought I wanted to stand in line and just see what the store was going to be like, but after waiting about 30 minutes I decided it wasn't worth it. As we came on home I got another wild idea to stop at the Wal-mart in Leeds, Al for the midnight sale. I know, call me crazy again! And it was crazy. It was so crowded. If you've never experienced a Black Friday midnight sale at Wal-mart, well, let me just say there is a whole breed of humanity that you haven't seen. These people were serious! They were laying their bodies over pallets of merchandise to guard their spot in line until they unveiled things at 12:01. And when the clock struck, I began to fear for my life. The boxes began flying and I nearly got hit by a huge cardboard crate pallet sized lid. I had to jump back and I bumped into the person behind me. Then to top it off, the hot item that they were all shuffling for was not the latest greatest toy. NO, it was towels for $1.33 each. Now, I know that is a cheap price, but come on, we are talking Wal-mart quality here. The Sherriff's department was there but they wouldn't have been able to do anything if a serious riot had broken out. Well, it wasn't quite that bad but it was wild. Memories...for sure. When all was said and done I got some good bargains and finished my shopping for the boys at 1:30am as they slept in the van sound asleep. I've been asked if it was worth it and I have to say this year it was. I was able to save a ton and still provide for others for Christmas! We got home about 2am that morning and went straight to bed.

No comments: